Androgenetic Alopecia Treatment Market Analysis
Androgenetic alopecia (AGA) is a patterned hair loss occurring due to systemic androgen and genetic factors. It is the most common cause of hair loss in both genders. It is characterized by follicular miniaturization in a patterned hair loss occurring due to systemic androgen and genetic factors. The increasing incidence of androgenetic alopecia is expected to boost the market growth.
According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), in August 2015, the global prevalence of severe androgenetic alopecia (AGA) was 15.33% overall and varied significantly by geographical region. The risk of having severe androgenetic alopecia (AGA) increased by 1.092 for per year for the 30 and 40 age group.
The global androgenetic alopecia treatment market is estimated to be valued at US$ 1,607.47 million in 2020 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period (2020-2027).
Product development and ongoing clinical trials are expected to propel the growth of the global androgenetic alopecia treatment market.
Development of drugs for androgenetic alopecia treatment is expecting to boost the market growth over the forecast period. For instance, Cairo University is conducting a clinical trial of topical Cetirizine for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in females.
The trial is in Phase II/III evaluating the efficacy and tolerability of topical cetirizine in female patients with androgenetic alopecia (AGA). This interventional trial started in February 2020 and the study expected completed in December 2021.
However, side effects of androgenetic alopecia treatment are expected to hinder the market growth. According to the US Pharmacist, a clinically-focused pharmacy publication, published an article- Treatment Options for Androgenetic Alopecia, in 2018 that medication used in for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia has many side effects. For example, topical Minoxidil can cause local erythema and pruritus and Finasteride can cause dizziness, orthostatic hypotension and others.
Report Coverage Details
Market Size in 2020:
US$ 1,607.47 Mn
Historical Data for:
2016 to 2019
2020 to 2027
Forecast Period 2020 to 2027 CAGR:
2027 Value Projection:
US$ 2,298.34 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Drug Type: Topical Agents, 5 AR Inhibitors, Others.
- By Route of Administration: Oral, Topical.
- By Gender: Male, Female.
- By Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies.
Histogen Inc., Cipla Limited, Aclaris Therapeutics, Inc., Merck & Co., Inc., Daiichi-Sankyo Co., Ltd., Johnson and Johnson Services, Inc., Lexington International LLC, Vita-Cos-Med Klett-Loch GmbH, PureTech, Vitabiotics, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, HCell Inc., Follica, Inc. and Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd.
- Rising incidence of androgenetic alopecia
- Product development and ongoing trials for treatment of androgenetic alopecia
Restraints & Challenges:
- Side effects of androgenetic alopecia treatment
- Alternative treatment for androgenetic alopecia treatment
Research and development of treatment for androgenetic alopecia in North America is expected to boost the market growth.
North America is expected to hold dominant position in the global androgenetic alopecia treatment market owing to research and development of treatments for androgenetic alopecia in the region. For instance, on June 4, 2020, Follica, Inc., a biotechnology company developing a regenerative platform designed to treat androgenetic alopecia, and other related conditions, announced positive feedback from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its FOL-004 Phase II released in December 2019. The company advanced its lead program, FOL-004 into Phase III development, following a successful safety and efficacy optimization study for the treatment of hair loss in male androgenetic alopecia.
Global Androgenetic Alopecia Treatment Market – Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
Nationwide lockdowns resulting from COVID-19 in various countries across the globe have impacted the financial status of businesses in all sectors. The private healthcare is one such sector which has been impacted significantly by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The lockdown in various countries due to the pandemic has placed an economic burden on the healthcare sector. Moreover, the coronavirus pandemic has hampered the development, production, and supply of drugs and other healthcare products and affected growth of healthcare businesses of various companies across the globe.
As a result, the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is also expected to limit the growth of the global androgenetic alopecia treatment drugs market during the forecast period.
Major players operating in the global androgenetic alopecia treatment market are Histogen Inc., Cipla Limited, Aclaris Therapeutics, Inc., Merck & Co., Inc., Daiichi-Sankyo Co., Ltd., Johnson and Johnson Services, Inc., Lexington International LLC, Vita-Cos-Med Klett-Loch GmbH, PureTech, Vitabiotics, Dr Reddy’s Laboratories, HCell Inc., Follica, Inc. and Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd. among others.
Androgenetic Alopecia Treatment Market Analysis
- Restoration Robotics Announces Ryan Rhodes As The New President
- ChemoHairSaver Can Prevent Hair Loss During Chemo
- Global Androgenic Alopecia Drug Market
- Androgenic Alopecia Drug Market
- Capillus Changes Its Name to Curallux
- Free womens hair loss seminar in Middlebury
- Campaign Reboot for Bay Area Hair Transplant Reviews
- Barbie Dolls with Vitiligo and Alopecia
- Dr Reddys launches hair growth supplement
- iGrow Plus Minoxidil Accelerates Hair Growth